You know the problem
- your website is almost out of date …
- does nothing for your organisation …
- it’s an embarrassment …
why is that?
I’m sure any local business, community group or church can have a successful web presence …
lack of time and finance need not be the reason things go wrong …
I will show you
- how things go wrong
- why the things you try to put them right don’t work
- a new approach that will transform the way you think about your web presence
Many organisations spend a lot of money and time getting it wrong …
… have you thought about the following?
I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire
Why not? If you do not communicate your enthusiasm, why are you communicating at all? I can remember the days of Gestetner; typing newsletters on stencils, fixing them to the machine and then running off hundreds of copy. Then getting up early in time to hand them out. We did it because we were enthusiastic. Our work and our presence showed our readers we cared.
It’s a lot easier to reach people locally and all over the world online but we still need to communicate enthusiasm and sincerity. So, ask these questions about your current website or the one you’re planning …
- What is your site for?
- What does it do for your organisation?
- Does it convey what you have to offer?
- Is it a compelling read?
- Is it building the relationships your organisation needs, locally and beyond?
- Are the right people finding your site?
- Is it recruiting new followers?
- Is it helping you find partner organisations?
- Do they read your content, respond to it, value it?
- Does your site generate income for your organisation?
- Do you know how it might generate income?
Do you know what your site should do and whether it’s doing what you think it’s doing?
All dressed up and nowhere to go …
If you have spent a lot of money on your site’s appearance, was it worth it? Your site’s appearance does not attract visitors because they don’t see it until they find it! And when they arrive, do they stay? It might look good but without engaging content your visitors won’t stay.
- Can your first time visitor quickly pick up what your site is about?
- Does its appearance support its content?
- Is your content up to date and relevant?
If your answer to these questions is ‘no’, your site cannot work for your organisation even if it looks fantastic.
He Wasn’t There Again Today …
You have a market even if you don’t make money from your site. Your market is the people for whom you have written your site. Do you know who they are? Are you sure they exist?
- How will your market benefit from visiting your site?
- Do you know what they are looking for?
- Does your site clearly show what you have to offer?
- Do the people you need to contact know about your site?
- Can they find it and do they visit it?
- Do you know how many visitors read your site and make contact through it?
You’ve Locked Me Out and I Can’t Get In
I’ve seen organisations lose control of their website, designed aeons ago by someone long forgotten, who wandered off with the password!
That might be easy to avoid but after investing lots of money and time in a site that looks good, many find themselves with a password to a content management system they don’t understand and don’t have time to learn about. There’s more than one way to be locked out.