Of the many things you must consider to be successful in your marketplace online, perhaps the most important is good content. Scratch that – the most important thing is excellent content! What makes content compelling?
If your content is excellent, you need not worry so much about search engine optimisation (seo) because people will find their way to your site. OK you may need to do some seo and conversion testing, that depends on what you’re aiming to do but with good content you’re almost there.
That’s the claim and we need to question it!
It’s certainly true if your content is compelling then you have the foundation you need for your site. People will recommend your site, place links on their site to your site and so help you build your following. This is a long haul strategy; you may have to post regularly for as long as 2 or 3 years to build up the site authority you need!
So, simply posting good content is unlikely to be enough. It’s foundational but it’s worth considering what you can do to promote your content. With some of the following you need to have made a start and have something for people to read. They are strategies for the long haul but remember every organisation is different and sometimes there are opportunities to do things quicker!
- Find out what your market wants and meet their wishes on and off site.
- If your site is local then promote your site offline and locally.
- Collect contacts’ email addresses and build an email list.
- Encourage visitors to your site to join your email list. Offer some good reasons to join it.
- Encourage your subscribers to link to your site and recommend your activities.
In future posts I’ll address each of these in turn. And I shall write about the content itself in the fullness of time. Please share your ideas and examples of good content in the comments.